Pearly white teeth are very vital for a pleasing appearance of an individual. That is why it is incredibly important for all of us to take good care of our teeth. Routine oral hygiene procedures like brushing our teeth, flossing, scraping our tongue and using mouth wash help in maintaining oral health for sure. Nevertheless, the food we consume is of paramount significance for healthy teeth and gums. Even with the best teeth bestowed by the creator, if you find that your teeth are not healthy then it is time to blame and change the diet.
You Also like :- Root Canal Treatment Waldorf
Teeth and gums are just like the other body parts requiring well balanced nutrition. The most important nutrients required to keep oral cavity and gums healthy are discussed here.
Food for healthy teeth and gums:
The foods which can help in keeping the teeth and gums healthy are:
- Calcium and phosphorous rich food: The main constituent of tooth enamel is minerals, of which calcium and phosphorous are very important. Consumption of foods rich in calcium and phosphorous is very crucial to have healthy teeth and gums. The best sources of calcium are milk, curd, cheese and tofu while of phosphorous are red meat, pumpkin seeds, eggs and nuts.
- Crunchy foods with excess water content: Foods with excess water content are healthy for teeth and gums as they help in neutralizing the bacteria and removing the plaques due to the bathing action of water and saliva produced. The best in this category are raw fruits like the apples, carrots and cucumber.
- Vitamin D rich source foods: The main requirement of Vitamin D is for better absorption of calcium. The ideal sources of vitamin D are sunlight, cod liver oil, fish and egg yolks.
- Vitamin C foods: Vitamin C reduces any inflammation by strengthening the blood vessels and helps keep gums healthy. If gums do not receive vitamin C they become susceptible to disease of the tissue surrounding the teeth. The sources of vitamin C are oranges, kiwis, broccoli, and bell peppers.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants keep gums and other tissues healthy by fighting bacteria which can cause infection. Foods with high antioxidant content are apples, grapes, beans, nuts and raisins.
- Probiotics: Probiotics such as curd, miso and fermented foods decrease the plaque formation and promote healthy teeth and gums.